11 Awesome Ways Hotel Cleaner Margarita Demanded A Meeting With Malcolm Turnbull
Margarita is a hotel cleaner. She’s worked every Sunday for 30 years, but is set to lose about $2,000 each year if Malcolm Turnbull slashes penalty rates for hundreds of thousands of retail, fast food and hospitality workers.
She isn’t standing for it – and is determined AF to meet with Turnbull and ask him why her pay should be cut.
So she’s off to Canberra THIS THURSDAY and will do whatever it takes to get a meeting with him – including featuring in a full page ad in Turnbull’s favourite newspaper.
This is how she's getting the attention of Malcolm Turnbull:
1. Bill Shorten told her story in an impassioned speech in Question Time.
“Her Sunday penalty rates help her put food on the table and buy shoes for her kids.”
2. She made a video calling on Prime Minister Turnbull to meet with her.
3. Then Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews wanted to meet her.
He told her he supports her penalty rates. And will do whatever he can to defend them.
4. Told her story at a rally. Before. Fifteen. Thousand. Workers.
She nailed it, btw.
5. Her story was told on the 7.30 report.
ACTU Secretary Sally McManus spoke about Margarita on her first day on the job as the voice of almost two million union members.
6. She got HUNDREDS of people to call Malcolm Turnbull’s office.
And with the call to action came some pretty dank memes.
7. Then she got her co-workers to speak out too.
8. Father Bob even got on board the campaign.
Thanks, Comrade Bob!
9. Then Van Badham live streamed with her on Facebook.
Van wondered if maybe Malcolm Turnbull was just too gutless to meet with Margarita. If he won’t meet with her, she certainly will.
10. Support was pouring from across the country.
Because an attack on one of us is an attack on all of us.
11. She raised tens of thousands of dollars to put a meeting request in Turnbull’s favourite newspaper.
And this was all done in just two weeks. But Malcolm hasn’t responded yet – so this Thursday, she is heading to Canberra to track him down. Help her get her meeting with Malcolm Turnbull by chipping in for a meeting request he cannot ignore.